Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Day 21 of Training - First Team Run and I live to tell about it!

(Pretend photo inserted here - meant to take pic of the group and forgot camera......)

Tonight was the first "team run" I have experienced. I was nervous to go for several reasons........was i going to be the slowest person there.........does everyone else look as silly in running shorts as I do........was I going to be able to manage to at least run a mile, much less the 2 we were scheduled to do......was I going to be able to remain on my feet and not flat on my face..........the lists goes on. However, I actually enjoyed myself!

We first met for about an hour and went over tons of ideas for fundraising. (As you know, I have to raise $2,500 before July 20 to remain in this wonderful group and learn to run a half-marathaon by October! - so the ideas were great to have!) Afterwards everyone headed outside and split off into groups that were going to run 2 miles, 3 miles, 4 miles or even 5 miles for those "Oh great runners". (I am sure you can figure out which group I was in.........!)

We started off at the MUSC Wellness Center and ran aallllllll the way over to Joe Riley Stadium where the Charleston Riverdogs were actually having a home game that night. How exciting to run by hundreds of people in funny running clothes, breathing heavy, no makeup on and your hair sticking up everywhere. Luckily, there was that big tall wall separating the spectators and me so no harm done - I didn't scare anyone at least! I was with a group of four ladies and we decided that instead of stopping at the 1 mile mark and turning around, we would plug forward for another 1/2 mile so then by the end of the walk/run, we would complete 3 miles and not just 2. We were hesitant, but we plugged on.

We managed to all get back safely and soundly to the MUSC Wellness Center and we were all still standing tall and proud when we returned. After all - we did it - 3 miles! 1 mile more than we were expected to complete. We finished strong and I am actually looking forward to getting up at 5:00 a.m. on Saturday for our next team run which is supposed to be 4 miles!!!

The best part of tonight - no leg pain!!!! Woo Hoo!!!

Tina

1 comment:

  1. Great job last night Tina! "Oh great runners"??? Ill take it as a compliment!!! Hope you are ready for Saturday!

    ReplyDelete