Thursday, May 20, 2010

Let the training begin!



As you may or may not have heard yet, I'm training to participate in a half-marathon as a member of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's (LLS) Team In Training. If you know me at all, I know what you are thinking .......... "What has Tina gone and done now?"…. "That girl only knows how to run to the bathroom or to run to catch a great sale at the grocery store!"…… "Has she lost her mind?"

Well - I may have lost my mind, but at least it is for a good cause. Yes, I could have easily backed out when I learned a half marathon was actually 13 miles long! (I have never walked more than 3 or 4 miles at any given time – and never ran more than a mile and that was 20 years ago!) And sure, I could have snuck out the back of the meeting when they explained I had to collect $2,500.00 in donations all by my little ole’ self. And I certainly felt like running and hiding under a rock when they told me I would have to be in downtown Charleston every Saturday morning by 5:45 a.m. to run anywhere from 4 to 13 miles over the next five months!!! (This one almost sent me over the edge since Saturday is my day for beauty sleep!)

However, then I realized……..those patients that are suffering with Leukemia, Lymphoma and other blood cancers…..they do not have a choice to run from the problems they have to endure on a daily basis, so why should I be able to run away?

So, if you would like to make a donation to my cause and help me obtain my required donation amount of $2,500.00 it would be greatly appreciated! Hopefully I can get my fundraising achieved within the next 30 days so I can divert all my attention to figuring out how to go from running 20 feet to the bathroom to running 13 miles to the finish line!! So please, if you feel this is a great cause as I do, please don’t delay and send in your donation now! We will all appreciate it!

There are two ways you can make a donation to my cause. You can mail me your check made payable to The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (or simply LLS) to: Tina Rucker, 206 Jasmine Drive, Summerville, SC 29483. Or, feel free to go to my personal fundraising website where you can make a quick, secure, online payment.

Also – if you have a family member or loved one that has or is suffering from a blood cancer, I would be honored to write their name on my race day jersey and run in their honor! Simply make sure and put a note in with your donation of their name and even a little story about them if you would like and I will be sure to bring them along with me on my journey!

The individuals who are battling blood cancers are the real heroes on our team, and we need your support to cross the ultimate finish line - a cure!

Stay tuned here for daily updates on my training efforts!

No comments:

Post a Comment